About Me

My photo
I'm Susan K. Droney and I write in several genres: children's books, mainstream fiction, thrillers, mysteries, and sensual/erotic romances. I am published by Torrid Books, World Castle Publishing, and Devine Destinies. Please click on the book covers or visit my website at: http://susandroney.com to read reviews, excerpts or to order my books.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Hidden Desires - Excerpt

BLURB

When Sage Ralston takes a job at Boylston Electronics, she soon finds out that her job is more than she bargained for. Under the guise of assistant to the company’s owner Charles Boylston, she has actually been hired to spy on her fellow employees. As Sage tries to determine who is sabotaging the company, all evidence points to Connor Michaels who works in the research lab. After getting to know Connor, Sage has her doubts that Connor is the person leaking information about the company and joins forces with the woman to find out who the real culprit is.


EXCERPT

“Wow! Look what was just delivered.” Heather carried a huge bouquet of roses to where Sage was standing at the small kitchen stove stirring a pot of stew.

Sage set down the spoon and turned to Heather.

“Those must’ve cost a fortune,” exclaimed Debbie, there for dinner.

Sage smiled, her heart becoming lighter than it had in weeks. “They’re beautiful!” Ryan did care! She tore open the attached card. Her heart sank as she read the message.

“Well?” Debbie asked. “What did Ryan say?”

“They’re not from Ryan.” Sage’s voice was flat.

“Who?” Heather asked.

“My boss.”

Debbie’s eyebrows shot up. “Your boss? Why would your boss send you flowers?”

“The card says for doing a wonderful job.” She crumpled the card and tossed it into the garbage can under the sink.

“What’s going on, Sage?” Debbie’s voice grew serious. “You’re not—”

She saw the look that passed between Debbie and Heather. “Of course not,” she replied. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Hey, come on. We’re your friends. We know something’s wrong…and it’s not just Ryan.”

Heather took her arm, led her to the sofa and sat down next to her, while Debbie settled in the easy chair.

“Sage, you haven’t been yourself. And the hours you work aren’t normal. I’ve never heard of a job that requires you to work weekends, too, unless you’re in an executive position. Level with us. Now the flowers?” Debbie shook her head. “If I didn’t know you better, I’d think you were having an affair.”

Sage laughed hollowly. “He’d be the last man I’d sleep with.” She looked down at her hands. “The job requires more time than I thought it would.” She sighed. “I wish I could turn back time. I never should’ve taken this job.”

“He hasn’t made sexual advances toward you, has he?” Debbie’s jaw tightened.

Sage blushed. “No…he tried to massage my shoulders once, but that’s all.”

“That’s weird. Just quit,” Heather advised. “It’s not worth it. You know you can stay here. Take your time and look for another job.”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?”

Sage met Heather’s kind eyes. “I signed a contract. I should’ve read it through first.”
Debbie leaned forward. “I know a lawyer…well, actually my cousin’s husband is a lawyer. Let him look the contract over and see what he says.”

“That’s a good idea,” Heather agreed. “It’s not like you’re CEO of the company, so I don’t see why Boylston wouldn’t just let you leave if you’re not happy.”

“He won’t.”

“You’ve asked him?” Debbie said.

She nodded. She wished she could tell them everything. She hated lying to her friends, but she couldn’t say anything just yet. Someday soon she hoped to tell them. “I don’t really want to talk about it.” She stood up. “Come on, you two, it’s not every day I have an evening off. Let’s forget about work. The stew should be ready in a few minutes and I’m starved,” she said, as she walked to the stove.

“Sage, why don’t you call Ryan?” Heather asked.

“No. He’s not interested in talking to me. He hasn’t returned any of my calls. He’s obviously moved on with his life.” A tear slid from her eye and she wiped it away, but not before her friends saw it.

They encircled her in their arms. “Whatever’s going on, you know you can count on us,” Heather said as Debbie nodded.

“I know.” Sage sniffed. She looked at the roses lying on the tiny counter. “Please throw them away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment