About Me

My photo
I'm Susan K. Droney and I write in several genres: children's books, mainstream fiction, thrillers, mysteries, and sensual/erotic romances. I am published by Torrid Books, World Castle Publishing, and Devine Destinies. Please click on the book covers or visit my website at: http://susandroney.com to read reviews, excerpts or to order my books.

Monday, September 02, 2019

Excerpt Wednesday – Murder In The Pinelands

Evan swallowed hard. "By the condition of his body." He blinked back tears. "It was almost unrecognizable."

"Did you call anyone else?"

"No. Only the police. I couldn't get cell phone service in the woods."

"What did you do after you discovered the body?"

"I drove home so I could contact the police."

 Detective Edwards frowned as he studied Evan for a few seconds. "Let's go back to last night. What happened after the three of you returned to the car?"

Evan cleared his throat. "I pulled onto the road and only drove a short distance, when something all of a sudden appeared in the middle of the road, blocking us. My hands began to shake and I froze."

"What do you mean by something appeared in the road? Was it an animal?"

Evan bit his bottom lip and visibly shuddered. "No. It wasn't human either."

"What did you see, Evan?" Detective Edwards asked with a touch of impatience in his voice.

Evan scrunched up his face. "I don't exactly know how to describe it. It was tall, taller than any human being. It stood like a human but it was horrible looking, and had bright red eyes. It began making a loud, screeching, piercing sound, and I covered my ears."

"So, you are telling us that you saw a monster?" Edwards asked through slanted eyes. "Had you ever seen anything like it before?"

"No, but what I saw wasn't human," Evan said evenly.

Detective Jones exchanged a look with his partner, and then took over the questioning. "Do you think it was the Jersey Devil?"

Evan shrugged his thin shoulders. "I don't know what it was, and that is the truth," he insisted. "But from what I've read, it sounds like it."

"Let me get this straight," Detective Jones continued. "Your friend is in the woods all alone, and something inhuman is blocking the road."

Evan nodded. "Yes."


"Then how did you get past it?"

He paused for a few seconds. "It started coming closer and I thought we were in for it, but then it stopped for about a minute and turned its head, and looked toward the woods on the other side of the road—where Aaron was. Then it just ran into the woods."


Amazon - Paperback 
Amazon - Ebook 
Barnes & Noble 
Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment