About Me

My photo
I'm Susan K. Droney and I write in several genres: children's books, mainstream fiction, thrillers, mysteries, and sensual/erotic romances. I am published by Torrid Books, World Castle Publishing, and Devine Destinies. Please click on the book covers or visit my website at: http://susandroney.com to read reviews, excerpts or to order my books.

Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Excerpt Wednesday – Maggie Quinn

 She did have a glimmer of hope, though. If what Paddy told their mother was true, they at least wouldn't starve to death. She didn't know which was worse, dying of the fever or dying from starvation. "Is it true what you told Ma, Paddy? Do we have some potatoes? Can we afford some decent food for Ma?" she asked optimistically.

"I didn't tell Ma anything, Maggie. I can't lie to her. I told her we would be fine." Patrick was thoughtful for a minute. "I suppose I was not truthful with her because we won't be fine." He ran a hand over his chin. "We have nothing, Maggie. There's nothing left! Year after year, the crop has failed. There's no hope left. The land is in ruins." He glanced around the almost barren room. "We don't have anything left of value to sell even if we could find a buyer." He shook his head. "It's done," he said wearily. "All hope is lost."

Maggie jumped to her feet. "No, Paddy! I won't give up! There has to be a way. We need to stay strong and keep our spirits high for Ma's sake. We need to keep trying." 

Patrick's eyes welled with tears as he looked at his sister. "The earth has swallowed up the beautiful land we once knew, and left nothing but a filthy putrid black mass in its place. It will never be the same, Maggie. Can't you see?" His jaw jutted out defiantly. "You are a dreamer. Your dreams never come true. This is the real world, Maggie. Why can't you see? You need to face the truth."

Formats:  Hardcover, Paperback, and Ebook

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment